Sunday, March 30, 2014

CLEANSING AND SOAP!!

Hello Mother!!!

 It's great that you have an opportunity to clean the temple. When I was at BYU the most solid people in my ward were those who worked in the temple. That is a very sacred and wonderful privilege. You probably already know this, but the temple presidents can not move furniture at all (even to the slightest degree) in a temple. They have to get directions from President Monson! That is how sacred it is.

I love the comments by the return missionary. As I am reading the Book of Mormon in Korean there are soooo many things that have stood out to me that I have never noticed or connected before. Korean is a very structured language, so the language sorts all of the commas out that are in English. One quick example is in Jacob 2 (verse 2). I never realized that Jacob preached that sermon to the people inside of the temple. When I read it in Korean there was the preposition 안으로 which literally means to the inside (the internal). The English has the word "into". Something that I had never realized before. I have also learned a lot from the word choice that they use when describing certain English words. I love the scriptures so much!

This past week the Lord blessed us with some wonderful opportunites and some...faith building...experiences. Our investigator pool widened mercifully this past week. We met a former investigator who teaches at a local english academy who seems to have really great long term potential. We saw him on the street the other day and he told us to "proclaim the one true Gospel" with energy in his voice. He's really great and we are excited to continue to teach him the Gospel!

We also met again someone that we had met before who has lots of time to meet. The second time that we met him (28) and preparing for a test to become an administrator, he told us that he wanted to meet often, and later he texted us with a feeling of "Even if you came every day, that would be good!" So, we went the next day and taught him the first lesson, which he soaked up more than the discussion that we had previously. Right now he has lots of good desires, but he hasn't found the way to act according to what he knows (which hits all of us to a certain extent...) and so we told him that through the Book of Mormon and the church he could find that strength that he needs. He also told us that his father is looking for a religion right now, which prompts the potential of another investigator.

We met with the politician again and had a really good lesson with him. So good. We testified of simple truths (God is our Heavenly Father. We can communicate with Him through prayer) and the spirit was strong. He said that he's lived 60 years a certain way, but that he would try to come to know and believe God. So we will continue to teach him again...which is really exciting!

We had a miracle with Jason this week (the one who attended church last week). We were going to a nearby college to advertise our english program (the freshman came to school last week) and realized that we didn't have our stapler. So, we started walking across the street to a paper supplies store. Right before we got to the supplies store we saw the sisters, so we went over and talked to them. As we were talking, Jason rode past on his bike. He stopped and we had a really really good conversation with him. He said that he couldn't come to church, but also that he had already read through 1 Nephi 13! The irony of the whole situation is that I had taken my bag that didn't even have the advertisements in it. Before we had gone, my companion asked me if we had some, and I told him that we did (I didn't look down, but in my mind I had on the other bag) and so if any of those small things had not happened, we would not have met Jason. It was a great experience and both us and Jason walked away smiling!

This past week was the thirty year anniversary of the church in the city that I am serving in. So, there was a great celebration and a fireside. It was a great opportunity to see the difference in the ward through all the years, and also the similarities in the ward through time. I really really love this ward so much. They are so wonderful!

The English investigator came to church again and had a really fascinating time! In Elder's quorum there was a good discussion about the appropriate way to help your children know they need to repent (pretty much the old physical vs. other punishment). I thought it was funny that one of the people noted that from talking to American missionaries, one method of punishment was making their kids eat soap (which I have experienced...). I don't think they really undersood though, because when the other people heard that they thought it would kill the child. I don't think they quite understood that it isn't a lot and it isn't straight up eating, but anyways, I laughed a little inside. But that's beside the point. In Korea the pastors all tell people what to do and they do it. Well, our investigator was thoroughly impressed with the way the discussion went and the different sides all allowed to express their views and the final decision being placed in the decision of the person. He loved that! And then, during sacrament meeting (when he wasn't asking me questions about English...) he said at one point about the speaker's talk "we're in the same boat". He was very edified at church and I am really glad that he had a great experience. He told us that he came while his wife was sleeping...so he still has to tell his family that he actually does have Gospel interest, but he is very slowly progressing. He is the best. We love him so much.

We also received a referral from another area as well as one from the sisters, so it looks like we will have our work cut out for us this transfer. The Lord loves us and has blessed us with this wonderful opportunity!

Recently, I have been hit by the phrase "depths of humility". Specifically, as mentioned in one of my favorite scriptures (Mosiah 4:11). I have come to more fully understand that the depths of humility does not in any way nor means mean weakening--to any degree. Another one of my favorite scriptures, Mosiah 15:7 shows the depths of humility of Christ. At another part of the scriptures, D&C, comments about humility are thus "Learn of me, listen to my words, walk in the meekness of my spirit and you shall have peace in me." and "Let all things be done in humility, trusting in me, reviling not against revilers".The depths of humility is the point where we have given everything to the Lord. The point where the Lord is able to pour out His spirit and give us strength that "is not known among man". It is hard and sometimes it must be learned through experience, but when we rely on the Lord with an eye single to His glory, that is when we are able to what we desire, but only when it is the Lord's will...which molds and shapes us in our journey as we try to obtain the mind and will of Christ for us. Like Christ did. "I am Jesus Christ, I came by the will of the Father and I do His will." That is the depths of humility. "I am Elder Strahl, I came by the will of the Father (to Korea), and I do His will". Not my will, but thine be done. And if by His will, then by His power (Moroni 7:33).

I know this is the Lord's work! I love it! I know that God lives and knows each of us!

I love you so much! Have a wonderful week!

No comments:

Post a Comment